Every company needs a Human Resource management team. The HR department adds enormous value to any organisation whether it be performing admin duties, complying with local labour laws, hiring new employees, or training them. Most of the functions of the HR department are performed manually, which leaves room for error. Likewise, the processes can be tedious and time-consuming.
But things are likely to change with the introduction of digitalisation and automation to the HR environment. Some may fear automation because they think that they will become redundant.
Defining HR automation
Automation in the human resources department means enhancing the HR team’s efficiency. Automation frees employees from performing repetitive manual tasks. With HR Automation, they can focus on more complex tasks whilst improving the department’s effectiveness and streamlining their processes. HR automation improves staff productivity and efficiency, reducing the time and cost spent on tasks that can be accomplished automatically without the need for human input.
The benefits of automating some HR processes
Companies stand to gain several benefits when they use HR automation. They can plan strategic human resource management to select human talent, improve pipeline succession, and make talent forecasts. The organisation can design, integrate, streamline, and enable the necessary services quickly at a lower cost. The right implementation of HR Automation can provide companies with valuable benefits, such as:
- Improved productivity
- Reduction of employee turnover
- Considerable reduction in printing costs and storage
- Prevention of policy violations or compliance risks
- Enhancement of organisational growth via efficient employee hiring
- Reduction of data entry errors and lost/misplaced documents
- Making intelligent business decisions using trustworthy reports
- Coordinated efforts to hire, train, and retain skilled employees
HR processes you can automate
If you are wondering about what HR processes you can automate, here are a few of them. Several of these processes can be a part of the more encompassing human capital management.
- Employee onboarding. This process is the most time-consuming when done manually. It includes the collection of documents for verification, creating access to tools for the new hires, creating requests for devices, etc. An onboarding app has a checklist that you can refer to. The documents can be collected electronically, and the devices and office equipment can be delivered immediately, while waiting for tool access will only take a few hours, instead of weeks.
- In the past, the HR department had timekeepers to track employee timesheets manually. If you automate the process, it is easier to track and manage employee timesheets quickly and accurately.
- Requests for leave. It takes a bit of time to calculate and approve employee leave, since the process involves checking the leave balance, getting the approval of the department manager, and recording the leave request to properly calculate payroll. Automation will perform the process faster and error-free.
- Employee performance management. This process tracks, measures, and analyses the performance of each employee to ensure that it is aligned with the company’s business goals. With performance management software, you can do the steps efficiently and without bias, eliminating personal feelings from affecting the decision and ensuring accuracy. With an automated process, employees and employers will appreciate the outcome.
- Exit Interviews. You can reduce the time to handle exit interviews because you can identify potential problems quickly and retrieve actionable data to improve employee retention without voluminous paperwork.
HR automation can provide a dynamic environment for the department, improving its efficiency, productivity, and reputation within the organisation.